By Thomas Cenci
Summer is approaching fast and we are all starting to eat more fish than meat.
Now one of the best sauces that can be served with a fresh piece of fish is a Beurre Blanc, and what’s even better than a Beurre Blanc?
Yes you guessed it, a Tomato Beurre Blanc.
Now don’t worry if you have never even heard of this before (it’s just another fancy name for a sauce), and there is a recipe below, it also doesn’t have to be used with fish, some freshly cooked asparagus would be just as tasty, but if you just happen to have a nice piece of pan-seared salmon lying around, then you’re in for a treat with this combination.
– 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
– 5oz tomato flesh
– 2 shallots
– 1 clove of garlic
– 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
– Any stalks of herbs such as tarragon or basil
– Salt and pepper
– 1 tblsp sugar
– 2 oz butter (cubed)
– 1 cup cream
1. Make the reduction by dicing the shallots and garlic.
2. Place them into a pan with the stock, tomato flesh, vinegar and herb stalks.
3. Allow to simmer and reduce to about 100ml in volume.
4. Once reduced strain through a sieve.
5. You can then either store the liquid reduction in a jar or bottle to use later.
6. To finish the sauce simply add the cream and then slowly whisk in the cubes of butter until the sauce thickens over a gentle heat.
7. Be sure not to overheat the sauce when adding the butter as it may split.
You can make the reduction part of the recipe in advance as it can be stored and kept for at least a month. As for serving tips, I recommend fish, but why not tell everyone what you have served it with in the comments below?