By Thomas Cenci
Parmigiana di Melanzane is a classic Sicilian dish which is served on most households throughout Italy.
The combination of the tomatoes with the eggplant and two cheeses makes a mouth watering recipe and is a must for all who love to cook.
– 1kg eggplant
– 4 tablespoons olive oil
– 1 bunch fresh basil leaves
– 500g Tomato Sauce
– 2 balls fresh mozzarella
– 100g freshly grated Parmesan
– Salt and pepper
1. Slice the eggplant horizontally into 1 inch thick slices, then season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the eggplant slices until light golden brown.
3. Take a casserole or baking dish and cover the bottom with a little tomato sauce.
4. Then place thin slices of mozzarella and eggplant on top.
5. Sprinkle with a little parmesan and chopped basil.
6. Repeat the layering process until all the ingredients have been used, making sure to add a little salt and pepper each time, finishing last with a layer of parmesan.
7. Place the dish in the oven at 170.C for about 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.