By Vanessa Richins
Enjoy some tomato inspired songs today!
Of course we all understand the sublimeness of tomatoes. I had no idea, however, that there were so many songs mentioning tomatoes in the world!
Take, for instance, a CD created specifically for East Nashville’s Tomato Art Fest. Their original contributions:
01. Ripe & Ready / Mark & Mike
02. Pomme d’Amour / Tom Mason
03. Please Don’t Throw (Any More Tomatoes at Me) / Peter Cooper
04. Tomahter / Pru Clearwater
05. Everybody’s Talkin’ ‘Bout How We Could Be Good Together (The Tomato Song) / Supersonic Penguin
06. Tomato Harvest Girl / Melba Toast
07. Better Boy / Eric Brace
08. Talk Dirty / Kent Blazy
09. Ripe Tomatoes / Hot Flash
10. The Day My Tomatoes Died / Seth Waltenbaugh
11. Early Girl / Jeff Ockerman
12. Tomato Head / Atomic Speedway
13. You’re My Tomato / Lonnie Wayne Flemmer
A band called The Smoking Popes lets us know that they think “The Moon Looks Like a Tomato”
Of course, there is the famous Gershwin song, “Let’s Call the Whole Thing Off” from “Shall We Dance?” with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. The name may not be familiar, but you would surely recognize the part where they wonder who is right because “You say tomato and I say tomahto” (they also mention tomato’s cousin potahto…I mean potato)
There is the brilliant cheesiness of “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes” and its theme songs.
Pink Martini has a song called “Hang On Little Tomato” (also the title of the album)
Some ska artists have crafted a song called “Beer Song (Tomato Jelly)”
Guy Clark sings about “Homegrown Tomatoes”.
Mason Williams told the sad story of a man with a “Tomato Vendetta” – the poor (misguided!) man lost everything, including his life, because of his hatred of tomatoes.
Have you heard of any other tomato songs?