By Thomas Cenci
It may sound simple, but making your own tomato soup rather than buying it can make a big difference – not just the flavor, but the freshness really stands out.
If you find you have quite acidic tomatoes then try boiling some vinegar with a little brown sugar and adding it to the soup as this will help take away the acidity.
Below is a recipe for a great tomato soup for you to try.
– 1 carrot
– 2 onions
– 3 sticks celery
– 2 rashers bacon
– 1 oz butter
– 1 oz flour
– 1 oz tomato puree
– 2lbs overripe tomatoes
– Chicken or vegetable stock to cover
1. Chop all the vegetables and add to a hot pan with the butter
2. When they start to go soft add the flour and cook for a few minutes.
3. Add tomato puree and cook for a further 2 minutes.
4. Chop and add the tomatoes, and warm through.
5. Gradually add the stock and add the bacon.
6. Allow to come to a simmer then take of the heat.
7. You can blitz the soup to thicken or just pass it straight through a sieve for a thinner version.
8. Taste for seasoning and serve.