By Michelle Fabio
If you’re in the northern hemisphere, I hope the winter is easing a bit and allowing you to start thinking about planting your tomatoes.
But if you’re experiencing weather like we’re having in southern Italy, though, it’s still time for canned tomatoes and hearty dishes like this one – one of my absolute recipes from my Italian grandmother:
Pork, Italian Green Beans, and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound of pork ribs (or other cut on the bone)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large can and 1 small can of tomatoes
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 pound green beans, washed with ends snapped off
- A few basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Parboil beans by bringing water to a boil in a large pot and then adding the beans, letting them cook for about four minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan and brown meat on all sides, remove from pan, and set aside.
3. Add onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
4. Add tomatoes.
5. Put meat back in the pan and add potatoes and green beans.
6. Add basil and salt.
7. Let simmer for an hour to an hour and a half until meat is cooked and tender.
8. Just a few minutes before you take the pan off the heat, add parmesan cheese and mix through.
9. Serve hot with fresh Italian bread.