By Mindy McIntosh-Shetter
This time every year I am up to my gardening elbows with all that goes into managing a garden.
This includes mulching, weeding, planting, picking, and my favorite and not so favorite chore that is canning.
All this work on top of the many hats I already where can leave me feeling and looking like a 350-year-old gnome with bad hair.
What is a gardener/canner to do? The garden cannot wait when the vegetables are in their prime for me to take a mental health day. The solution to my problem is a trip to my own gardener’s spa created from my own tomato garden.
The following recipes are a start to any homemade spa treatment. Tomatoes in general are used to treat oily skin to normal skin and as a skin lightener. So prop up your feet, read a good book, have a nice treat and enjoy one of these spa treatments using tomatoes.
- Â½ cucumber cut up
- Â½ tomato cut up
- Â¼ cup of vodka
Blend the cucumber, tomato and vodka until smooth. This mixture can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Gently pat mixture on freshly washed face and neck. Leave on these areas for 5 minutes then rinse off with warm water. This mixture will tone the skin and remove dirt and impurities.
Tomato Mint Yeast Mask
- 1 tomato
- 1 Tablespoon fresh peppermint leaves
- Â½ Tablespoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Bring water to a boil and place tomato in the hot water. Take off stove and let cool. Once cool peel the skin off the tomato.
2. Scoop seeds out of tomato and crush.
3. Crush fresh peppermint leaves and add to tomato. Then add dried yeast and lemon juice.
4. Apply to face 3 times a week for 10 minutes. This is great for oily skin.
Skin Lightening Tomato Facial
- 1 tomato
- 1 Tablespoon cucumber juice
- Â¾ Tablespoon fresh mint leaves
- 1-cup oatmeal powder
- 2 Tablespoons yogurt
1. Scoop out seeds of the tomato and remove skin. Then mash tomato and add cucumber juice, crushed mint leaves, oatmeal powder, and yogurt.
2. Mix all ingredients until a paste forms.
3. Apply to face, neck, shoulders, and hands.
4. Leave mask on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse off with warm water.
Life can take toll on our health, happiness, and well-being but as every gardener knows even though gardening helps with life’s stress it can also add to it. Canning, and preserving one’s harvest on top of other responsibilities can just add to our everyday stress but what to do. Take a deep breath, admire your beautiful garden and realize that those tomatoes will be there tomorrow so take some time to take care of yourself.
The recipes above are just a beginning to a stress free garden and life. So make an appointment with yourself and try a garden spa day. You and your garden will come out feeling wonderful, relaxed, and ready to conquer any of life’s problems head on with a new outlook.