By Mindy McIntosh-Shetter
To aid one in making and/or using their sun-dried tomatoes, I have come up with a simple recipe.
While this bread does take some time, it is well worth it.
Add your own twist to this basic recipe by adding different greens and cheeses along with herbs.
Greens, Cheese, and Sun-dried Tomato Rolls
1 cup of steamed greens (spinach, fennel, mustard)
1 cup of chopped sun-dried tomatoes
3 egg whites
3 cups lukewarm water
1 ½ tablespoons dry yeast
1 tablespoon salt
2/3 cup cheese such as feta or parmesan
1 ½ tablespoon sugar
6 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1. Steam the greens and cool. Remove as much of the moisture as possible by squeezing them. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl combine greens, yeast, salt, cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes.
3. Mix together the 3 egg whites and the 3 cups of water in a separate bowl.
4. Add this mixture to the bowl from step 2.
5. Mix flour into the above mixture until completely mixed.
6. Once it is mixed, sprinkle the counter surface with flour. Next remove a baseball size piece of dough from the bowl and place in the flour. The dough will be wet so you may need to add more flour. Form into a ball shape.
7. Cover a flat baking sheet with parchment paper that is sprinkled with cornmeal. Place each ball on this sheet and let rest for 1 hour.
8. After the hour has passed, preheat oven at 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
9. Fill an oven proof bowl of water and place on the bottom rack of the oven.
10. Sprinkle each dough ball with a little flour and cut an “x” in the top of each ball.
11. Place in the oven with the water bowl and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
12. Cool on a rack before eating.
Serve this bread with flavored oil, sweet butter and/or pesto.
So until we blog again, may the sun set on your tomato garden with grace, love, and bounty.